February 24, 2024

Firecracker injuries in Ilocos region  81.82% higher than last year

By Justine Rich Talusan

A TOTAL of 60 fireworks-related injury (FWRI) cases from December 1, 2022 to January 1, 2023 was reported yesterday by the Department of Health – Ilocos Region.

 The number is 81.82% higher than the figure during the same period last year, with 33 recorded cases.

Pangasinan tops the list of FWRIs, with 45 cases; La Union has nine, Ilocos Sur five and Ilocos Norte with one case.

The Regional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (RESU) and Heath Emergency Management Service (HEMS) FWRI Report said the types of injuries were caused by blast/burn (without amputation – 45.75%, with amputation – 2.3%), eye injury (12.20%) and one stray bullet (1.2%).

 There were 49 males and 11 females involved. Age ranged from three to 75-years-old.

A total of 33 cases were actively involved while 27 cases were passive.

 Boga and skyrocket (kwitis) were the two major causes of injuries.

 According to Regional Director Paula Paz M. Sydiongco ,  all health emergency personnel and public health facilities provided emergency treatment to all injured individuals during the yuletide holidays.

“Nagpapasalamat po ako sa lahat ng mga local government units natin kasama na ang ating mga kapulisan sa kanilang maigting na pagbabantay noong bagong taon. Bagama’t tumaas po ang kaso natin ng FWRI, ay magpapatuloy pa rin po ang pagsasagawa ng public awareness campaigns sa mga ipinagbabawal na paputok,” the regional health official said.

 Sydiongco also proposed stricter regulation on the sale of pepato kwitis and the manufacture of bogas.  

“As these two accounts for most of the injuries in the region, law enforcement should be directed towards preventing importing, distributing and using these fireworks,” she said.