May 27, 2024

The Insider News

Direct from the source

DOJ mulls probe into P8-M bribe per Degamo slay suspects

JUSTICE Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla yesterday said that they are considering the conduct of an investigation into claims that the suspects in the killing of Negros Oriental Gov. Roel Degamo were offered P8 million each to retract their statements.

“We may consider a thorough examination of this matter. The occurrence of such events does not come as a surprise to us, which is why we had foreseen it approximately two and a half weeks ago. Given the mysterious happenings and the anticipated recantations, we are not taken aback in any way,” Remulla stated in mixed Filipino and English. 

Remulla said given the pattern in the situation bribe is possible.

“Given the current pattern we are witnessing with the purported recantations, it is a possibility. We cannot be certain,” Remulla said.

Previously, Remulla revealed that the suspects involved in the high-profile murder of Degamo had purportedly been offered ₱8 million each to retract their statements. 

In an interview with CNN Philippines on Friday morning, Remulla disclosed the information, citing the most recent intelligence report.

Ten suspects who had previously cooperated with the investigation, have submitted their affidavits of recantation.

When asked about potential charges that could be filed in connection with the alleged bribery of the suspects, Remulla mentioned “obstruction of justice.”

“Technically, it is obstruction of justice when you attempt to evade personal liability for an unlawful act through various means,” he said.