PHILIPPINE National Police chief Gen. Dionardo Carlos yesterday said all police security preparations are in place to ensure the safety of tourists and the local populace in Boracay Island which has been placed under Alert Level 2 effective Wednesday.
The measures are being implemented by the Police Regional Office 6 headed by Brig. Gen. Flynn Dongbo amid the expected heavy tourist arrivals in Boracay Island in Malay, Aklay, which remains the country’s no. 1 tourist destination.
The Inter-Agency Task Force earlier said that the entire province of Aklan, along with, Antique, Bacolod City, Capiz and Negros Occidental, where among the areas in Western Visayas that were placed under Alert Level 2 effective February 16 until the end of the month.
Carlos said that while COVID-19 restrictions are now slowly downgrading in most parts of the country, local territorial units, especially their Tourists Police Units, will continue to strictly enforce appropriate standards and safety protocols, in accordance with IATF guidelines, existing local executive orders and ordinances issued by local government in their area of responsibility.
The PNP chief ordered the local police to gear up their anti-criminality measures to ensure safety and security of both local and foreign tourists and protect them against anybody who will take advantage of the easing protocols.
According to Executive Order 001-A, Series of 2022 issued by the provincial government of Aklan, all tourists and travellers may now enter the province provided they need to first secure a “Quick Response” or QR Code via online Health Declaration Card (OHDC) through aklan.gov.ph website.
The country’s top cop advised the public, especially those who are planning to spend their summer vacation in the island, to remain vigilant during their stay and strictly follow the safety protocols at all times.
Boracay Island has recorded 35,799 tourist arrivals in the first month of 2022, which is 200.88 percent higher from 11,898 records of the same month last year.