BUREAU of Immigration (BI) officers at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) barred from entering the country, Thursday night, a Chinese national previously convicted of sex crimes in the United States (US).
Immigration Commissioner Norman Tansingco identified the excluded passenger as 26-year-old Kang Gong, who was intercepted at the NAIA Terminal 3 upon his arrival via a Cathay Pacific flight from Hongkong.
Tansingco said the Philippine Immigration Act strictly prohibits the entry into the Philippines of foreigners convicted of crimes involving moral turpitude, as they are likely to commit the same offense if they are allowed to enter the country.
“He was thus excluded and booked on the first available flight to his port of origin,” the BI Chief said, adding that Gong’s interception became possible after his name registered a hit in the Interpol’s database of convicted alien criminals.
Information obtained from the Interpol’s National Central Bureau (NCB) in Manila disclosed that Gong was deported to China from the US on October 22, 2021.
He was expelled by the US government nearly seven months after a circuit court in Michigan convicted him on three counts of child sexual abuse, and using computers in distributing and promoting sex pornography.
Gong allegedly committed the crime from April to July 2000 when he received more than a hundred pornographic materials of sexually abused children and distributed them to the public.
“We cannot allow this undesirable alien to enter our country, lest our Filipino children become his next victims,” Tansingco said.
Gong’s name was included in the Bureau’s blacklist of unwanted aliens.