February 29, 2024

KSA to settle unpaid wages of 10K jobless OFWs

THE Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has assured President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to settle the unpaid wages of more than 10,000 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) who were left jobless after their companies in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia declared bankruptcy in 2015 and 2016.

President Marcos told reporters at the sidelines of his attendance to the ASEAN-GCC Summit in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia that the Saudi government is now processing the back wages of the affected OFWs and other details.

“Napo-process na ngayon ‘yun,” President Marcos said.

“We are already coming to the point na ‘yung detalye na lang ang pinag-uusapan. ‘Yung listahan ng mga claimant ay nalinis na, maayos na. And we are just waiting for the details to be worked out between the Saudi side,” he added.

The statement of the President came after he was asked to provide updates on the government’s efforts to ensure that the back wages of more than 10,000 OFWs will be given to them.

President Marcos, however, emphasized that no other details may be disclosed about the settlement issues.

“But in concept, in principle, itutuloy talaga nila ‘yung pagbayad doon sa insurance claims ng mga nagtatrabaho sa mga negosyo na nalugi noong nagsara noong COVID. So, that will continue to go. Matatapos natin ‘yan,” President Marcos said.

“I cannot say because it also depends on the internal processes in Saudi Arabia. But, again, I know for a fact that they will be paid. It’s just a question of when,” he added.

The Crown Prince committed last year during his bilateral meeting with President Marcos at the APEC Summit in Bangkok, Thailand some 2 billion riyals for OFWs who were affected when their construction firms went bankrupt.